Skip to main content


  1. What is meant by a Home District? 
    "Home District" means the district designated by the responsible official as the district in which the registered engine or equipment unit resides most of the time. For registered engines or equipment units based out of California, the responsible official shall designate the home district based on where the registered engine or equipment unit is likely to be operated a majority of the time the registered engine or equipment unit is in California. 
  2. What is a Resident Engine?
    A portable engine that, at the time of applying for registration, has a current, valid district permit or registration that was issued prior to January 1, 2006, or an engine that lost a permit to operate exemption through a formal district action. Moving an engine from a district that provides a permit to operate exemption to a district that requires a permit to operate or registration does not qualify for consideration as a resident engine; or 
    A certified compression-ignition engine that operated in California at any time between March 1, 2004 and October 1, 2006. The responsible official shall provide sufficient documentation to prove the engine’s residency to the satisfaction of the Executive Officer. Examples of adequate documentation include, but are not limited to tax records, purchase records, maintenance records, or usage records. 
  3. How is "portable" defined? 
    "Portable" means designed and capable of being carried or moved from one location to another. Indicia of portability include, but are not limited to, wheels, skids, carrying handles, dolly, trailer, or platform. For the purposes of this regulation, dredge engines on a boat or barge are considered portable. The engine or equipment unit is not portable if any of the following are true: 
    the engine or equipment unit or its replacement is attached to a foundation, or if not so attached, will reside at the same location for more than 12 consecutive months. The period during which the engine or equipment unit is maintained at a storage facility shall be excluded from the residency time determination. Any engine or equipment unit, such as back-up or stand-by engines or equipment units that replace engine(s) or equipment unit(s) at a location and is intended to perform the same or similar function as the engine(s) or equipment unit(s) being replaced, will be included in calculating the consecutive time period. In that case, the cumulative time of all engine(s) or equipment unit(s), including the time between the removal of the original engine(s) or equipment unit(s) and installation of the replacement engine(s) or equipment unit(s), will be counted toward the consecutive time period; or 
    the engine or equipment unit remains or will reside at a location for less than 12 consecutive months if the engine or equipment unit is located at a seasonal source and operates during the full annual operating period of the seasonal source, where a seasonal source is a stationary source that remains in a single location on a permanent basis (at least two years) and that operates at that single location at least three months each year; or 
    the engine or equipment unit is moved from one location to another in an attempt to circumvent the portable residence time requirements. 

  4. If both an AVAQMD permit and PERP registration have been issued for the same equipment, which document takes precedence?  
    Under no circumstances shall a portable engine or equipment unit be operated under both statewide registration and a district permit at any specific location. Where both a district permit for operation at a specific location and statewide registration have been issued for an engine or equipment unit, the terms of the district permit shall take precedence at that location. 
  5. What actions are necessary in the event that a piece of registered equipment changes ownership?
    When ownership of a registered engine or equipment unit changes, the new owner shall submit a change of ownership application. This application shall be filed within 30 days of the change of ownership. During the 30-day period, the new owner is authorized to operate the registered engine or equipment unit. If an application is not received within 30 days, the engine or equipment unit may not operate, and the existing registration is not valid for the new owner until the application has been filed and all applicable fees have been paid. Registration will be reissued to the new owner after a complete application has been approved by CARB. 
  6. Once the engine or equipment unit has been registered, what are the operating requirements?
    The responsibilities of owners/operators of registered portable equipment are listed under stakeholder responsibilities.
  7. What are the penalties for failure to comply with the AVAQMD rules and/or the PERP regulation?
    If an inspection of a registered portable engine or equipment unit leads to the determination that a violation has occurred, a Notice to Comply or Notice of Violation may be issued.